Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Swaziland - Mantenga

We did the boat trip in St Lucia. It was a 2 hour boat ride and we saw at least 20 hippos, crocs, flamingos, and tons of birds.

Monday morning we left St Lucia and headed towards Swaziland. The ride went really smooth and we made good time to the boarder. I got through the boarder without too much trouble. I didn't have to  show the affidavit saying I could leave the country with the motorcycle. The only issue I ran into was that I don't have a license disk. I had to pay 60 Rand (about $4) as a fine. I didn't know what a license disk was until the boarder patrol agent pointed one out on a car. I bet this is going to be an ongoing issue at boarder crossings, but I don't think I can get one unless I go back to Durban.

Rob got through the boarder without too much hassle as well. Hes not allowed back in South Africa for 5 years because he overstayed his visa, but he didn't get fined. He didn't have to pay a fine for the license disk because he had the carnet and said license disks are digital in the UK.

Monday night we stayed in a game reserve near the boarder. We stayed in huts made in a traditional Swaziland style. They were dome shaped made of clay and straw. It was way too hot to be comfortable at night. On the ride to the reserve we say wild pigs on the road. I think that was the first time I ever saw them in the wild.

Tuesday we rode to the Mantegna Nature Reserve area. Its in between Manzini and Mbabane, which are big cities for Swaziland. Its a nice place in the mountains. There are caves, hikes, kayaking and other outdoorsy things to do. Yesterday I did a hike and started at 12:30 in the afternoon. Halfway up I regretted started the hike at such a hot part of the day, but made it to the top and saw some incredible views.

We are going to stay in Swaziland for a little while but its a small country so not too long. My plan is to head to Mozambique next. I hear there's really good diving, so I'm going to try to get my advanced open water there. I got opened water certified to 18 meters a few years ago, but the advanced will allow me to dive to 40 meters. Hopefully we will be in the Mozambique coast by Christmas.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time. Tom said if he had known you would be motorcycling he would have come along! So nice to read the updates. Take care.

    ReplyDelete