Monday, December 28, 2015

Tofo - Mozambique

The boarder crossing went well. I had to pay for 3rd party insurance, but it only cost $10. Buying a visa took about 30 minutes for Rob, which is much better than the 3 hours I was expecting.

We stayed one night in Maputo then headed up the coast. We spent Christmas in Xai Xai near the beach. Four other people motorcycling through Africa were staying next to our campsite. They are the only ones Ive met so far.

We got to Tofo a couple days ago. Apparently its going to be very busy for New Years. There are a couple festivals happening. We know several people here that we met in Swaziland or earlier in Mozambique. Its nice to already have friends at a place.

The police haven't been too much trouble yet. Yesterday Rob got pulled over because he didn't have a helmet on. I went to go find him and the cop was pretty angry. Rob didn't have his drivers license or the papers for his bike. I didn't have my passport (foreigners are required to carry it), an international drivers license, my bikes papers, or a helmet. Remarkably we got out of the situation without any fines or bribes. We were really lucky.

I start my advance scuba course tomorrow. To get the certification I have to do 5 dives. After that Ill be certified to go 30 meters deep. Im trying to get it done before New Years then we will plan on leaving town on the second.

This is a cool area and I look forward to spending some time here. Its beautiful and most of the people are really nice. Right now I am going to brai (BBQ) prawns that we bought near the beach.


No comments:

Post a Comment