Saturday, January 30, 2016

Cape Maclear Malawi

Yesterday I went wakesurfing and waterskiing on Lake Malawi. It was great and being on the lake almost let me forget that Im missing ski season. I have conflicting feelings about doing these expensive/touristy things in Africa. There are no locals waterskiing, these people can barely afford to eat. Things like climbing mountains and hanging out by the beach are fun for a bit but it makes me feel guilty.

A few days ago, in Zomba, I visited a halfway house for street boys. Im skeptical about these kind of organizations because of an experience I had a few years ago in Cambodia. The Malawian people in charge of this one had good ideas but its difficult to say how much they are accomplishing. They want to be financially self sufficient which seems like a reasonable goal. While visiting the center I only saw 3 beds. They told me 7 boys were living there. One of the beds was for an employee at night and there was a locked room that may have had more beds. There were 5 employees when I visited but unfortunately the boys were at school. They said they have the ability to hold up to 16 kids but it comes in waves. The people seemed nice and open to suggestions. They didnt ask for any money. I gave them a harmonica and a book on how to play.

I hiked Mt. Mulange last week. It was amazing. We hiked for 3 days and summited the 3rd highest peak in Africa. The mountain is a huge plateau with several peaks. I could have easily spent a few more days up there.

On the way from Zomba to Cape Maclear we stopped on the side of the road for a break. We wanted to find shade so we looked for a spot to park under a tree. There was a little girl and Rob pulled up too close and scared her. She ran towards her village. Rob got his bike stuck trying to get under the tree. Me and another guy helped push him out. We left the bikes on the road and went to relax under the tree. A few minutes later I noticed a bunch of people congregating by a bridge. They started walking our way. I told Rob we should go and we started to pack up our stuff. By the time the crowd reached us there was about 30 of them. The little girl that ran away earlier thought that Rob was trying to kidnap her. They were mostly women and children but at least 2 men were with them and one had a machete. We tried to explain but couldnt get our point across. I said we were leaving and went towards the bikes. I put on my gear and got on as quick as possible. Someone threw a rock that landed near my foot. I looked up and saw at least one other kid with a rock. The guy with the machete started scraping it on the road. I think that was to mark a line we couldnt pass. As we rode off they screamed and ran after us. I understand why the incident happened and I dont blame the community. A lot of Malawian kids are kidnapped and sent to Mozambique Ive heard. Its crazy how things can escalate from a misunderstanding.

Today we are heading north from Cape Maclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment