Sunday, March 27, 2016

Garden Route South Africa

My bike got fixed and it was $50 less than I was quoted, which was a nice surprise. I went south after that to Fish River Canyon. I wasn't able to hike there because it's the wrong time of year. It was beautiful none the less. After that I continued into South Africa. People told me I'd have trouble getting back in, but they were wrong. I was given another 3 months in the country. Best I can figure it's because it's a different calendar year.

I drove from Windhoek to Cape Town in 4 days, about 1,800 km with the detour to the canyon. There wasn't much to see on the west coast of SA so I figured it was better to just cruise. I stayed in Cape Town for a little less than a week. It's a very modern city. I met up with a couple South African friends that I'd met in Mozambique. One of them worked for a boating company and invited me out to go crawfishing. I was pretty surprised when I saw the boat. It was a yacht. One of the nicest boats I've been on. It's was great seeing the city from the ocean.

I left Cape Town a couple days ago. Last night I stayed in Mossel Bay. It was packed with people because of Easter. Luckily I have a tent and was able to find an open spot.

Today I'm in Oudtshoorn. This town is also full because there's some sort of fair/festival going on. Again I am grateful to have a tent because everything is sold out. I went into a cave today and did an adventure walking tour. I lucked out because there was one spot left and the last tour started less than five minutes after I got there. It was pretty neat and I'm glad I did the adventure one because the other tours didn't look that interesting. Tomorrow I will head back towards the coast and continue along the garden route.

I booked my flight out from Durban in a little over three weeks. Then I will head to Berlin for a week and London for a few days. It was cheaper to book a ticket to Europe then go to the states, compared to getting a flight from SA directly home. Not sure why.

There's still a lot of beautiful things to see en route to Durban, but this trip is starting to wrap up.

No comments:

Post a Comment