Friday, March 4, 2016

Maun Botswana

After Livingstone I crossed the boarder into Botswana. There is a river dividing the two countries so I had to cross using a ferry.

My first stop in Botswana was Kasane near Chobe National Park. I camped for a few nights and met up with my bicycle friend from South Africa. I did a morning safari into the park. It was nice but its the off season so we didn't see too many animals. We saw one elephant, giraffes, hippos, water buffalo, warthogs, impalas, and birds. Later I did a boat ride. Which was ok but I think I was on a boat full of German birdwatchers so they spent a lot of time staring at birds while I had cocktails.

Next I headed south towards Nata, about 300 kms, making my way to the Okavango Delta. On the road from Kasane to Nata I counted 20 elephants and 4 giraffes. Its crazy being close to such big animals when Im on a little 125. I kept my distance and had a great ride.

After a night in Nata I did another 300 kms to Maun on the delta. My bike was making some strange noises so I had it serviced for the first time in 9200 kms. Ive been giving it oil changes every few thousand kms but thats all Ive done so far.

A couple days ago I did a helicopter ride over the delta. It was 3 times the amount of a scenic plane ride, but well worth it. It didnt have doors and we were able to get low and circle around the herds. The delta is pretty dry at the moment but we saw a lot of animals. The highlight for me was seeing a couple big herds of elephants.

I planned on leaving Maun this morning but its raining so Ill probably wait another day. Its been raining a lot the last few weeks. I don't mind riding in the rain a little bit but it gets old. Most mornings it takes a couple hours to get my stuff dry enough to pack. Also, my tent is in rough shape. I bought it in South Africa and its been through some heavy storms and its starting to show. Most of the poles are duct taped and theres a big hole in the screen. I wanted to buy another one but haven't been able to find a quality one in Botswana.

Im going to head towards Namibia and drier weather. Its about 800 kms to Windhoek. From there Ill spend some time in the desert and hopefully check out the west coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment