Saturday, April 3, 2021

AT - 109 - Franklin, NC

 Today I got picked up by a “trail angel” at winding stair gap outside Franklin North Carolina. He brought me to my hostel, to a post office, to Walmart, bought me beers and a tshirt at a local brewery. All that just because he’d hiked a big section of the trail and wanted to help out. I’ve gotten “trail magic” a few times where people wait at roadsides to hand out fruit, donuts, or cokes. People love the trail and are super nice.

It was a tough first week. One day I woke up to pouring rain and my tent under a couple inches of water. The next day my boots were frozen solid. It’s been low twenties for a few nights. But tonight I’m in a bed and clean and comfortable. After a week in the woods it was needed.

I hiked through Georgia and I’m 109 miles into the trail. I have blisters and my legs hurt. But it’s great. 

I had no idea what the AT means to so many people. They just want to talk and help and connect with hikers. In the middle of no where there will be some guy in a truck on a back road that gives me a coke.

I’ll try to do a better job in my next post because this hike is difficult to explain. I’m pumped that I made it through Georgia and ready to get back on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment