Wednesday, April 14, 2021

AT - 344 - Erwin, TN

Leaving Franklin I had nice weather hiking for a couple days into the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center). It was a tough downhill and climb out of a valley with a river. The NOC is a rafting facility with a gear shop and general store. I needed a permit to enter the Smokies, which the NOC printed for me.

Before entering the Smokies I resupplied at the Fontana marina on the Fontana dam. Then I stayed a night camping at the Fontana Springs Shelter nicknamed the Hilton because they have a shower, bathroom, and it’s big and nice.

I crossed Fontana dam and went into the Smokies on April 7. In the Smokies you need to stay at shelters the entire time so that limited my choices for where to sleep. Because it was crowded at shelters and I’d finished my book I pushed through the Smokies in a few days, leaving just before dawn on the 10th. Also a bear attacked a tent, so I couldn’t stay in that shelter, meaning it was a long day having to skip the shelter. I don’t think the guy got hurt but I heard it took several backpackers to scare the bear away. On my second day in the Smokies I took the wrong trail for an hour and a half before realizing and turning around. It was near the end of the day and I wasn’t paying close attention.

Coming out of the Smokies I didn’t have enough food to make it to Hot Springs, the next resupply town about 33 miles away. But I got lucky with some trail magic at 2 places. One group cooked me a chicken quesadilla and a bunch of food to go. Then 3 miles later another group gave me a couple chili cheese hotdogs, fruit and salad. After eating two lunches it was raining but I kept going in order to make it to Hot Springs at a reasonable time the next day.The trail goes right through the town. I resupplied at Dollar General and had a burger, wings and a salad at the tavern and kept going. 

Yesterday, 2 nights north of Hot Springs, I met up with a guy I’d hiked with the day I entered The Smokies. I’d lost him when I took the wrong turn. I met another one of his buddies at the camp site last night and today we got Mexican in Erwin Tennessee.

Most people have trail names at this point. I still do not. One guy suggested Steady, but I haven’t gone by that. I think I’ll see in a bit. I met a couple ladies in their 70s that went by Golden Girls. They’d done 14 miles the day I met them on a mountain top. It’s impressive some of the people on the trail. All sorts, young, old, large or small. Just a bunch of people who like to hike.

The weather has been much warmer. At night it gets chilly but not too bad. It’s been raining quite a bit but that’s normal for the area. 

Today a woman gave me a ride for free into town. She picked up my friends and brought us to the Mexican place. I’ve been avoiding crowded shelters but there are plenty of nice people. Feels like I’m beginning to get my trail legs and adapting to life on the AT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment