Friday, February 26, 2016

Lusaka

After Lilongwe I spent a night in Chipata, which is about 20 kms over the boarder. I ran into a friend I had met in Malawi at the campground I stayed at. He had bicycled up from Cape Town. Ive run into quite a few bicyclers and one day I think Ill give it a try. Seems like an entirely different experience.

From Chipata I went to the capital Lusaka. I did 605 kms in one day. Its took me 9 or 10 hours and is the most Ive done yet. The ride was beautiful. The roads are pretty good in Zambia compared with a lot of Malawi and Mozambique. The last 2 hours of the ride it rained. By the time I got to Lusaka everything I had was soaked.

I met up with a couple friends and the next day we went to Livingstone and Victoria Falls. It was great. We went to Angels Pool (Devils Pool was closed). To get to Angels Pool you need to wade through the Zambezi above the falls. Its risky because if you mess up you'll go over the falls. We had a guide, for about $13 each, which was definitely necessary. The tour takes you to a nice overlook and then a cliff jump. We jumped from about 5 meters into a pool that goes over the falls. It was a bit intimidating but the current wasn't as strong as it looked.

I left my bike in Lusaka when I went to Livingstone so after a few days I came back to pick it up. One of the guys I was with wanted to buy a motorcycle so Ive been here for a few days trying to sort that out. In the end he decided not to buy one. Im actually pretty happy with his decision. I don't mind riding alone for a little while. Tomorrow I plan on heading back to Livingstone. Its unfortunate to backtrack, but I need to go through there to get to my next destination. I plan on going through the Caprivi Strip, if motorcycles are allowed, and then into Botswana. I don't have any solid plans but Im ready to hit the road again. Also, I plan on riding back to Durban but Ive heard the visa may be an issue. People have told me they wont let you in if you haven't returned to your port of entry after the original 3 months has passed. Im not sure how it'll work out but I have to try. Im excited for the next couple weeks because I think there will be a lot of big animals to see. I haven't seen any lions, giraffes, or elephants yet but I should soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment