Monday, April 2, 2012

Leaving Varanasi

Im catching a couple trains to Darjeeling this afternoon. Its a Himalayan city to the north. I dont know that much about it but it looks pretty.

Varanasi has been really interesting. I have never been to a city anything like it. There is a crematory on the river where they burn bodies 24 hours a day. It made me uncomfortable to watch the cremations, but its normal in their lifestyle. I took a boat ride on the river and the guide said they burn 150 - 200 bodies a day. There are a few cases where the bodies don't get burned and they just sink them in the river (ie. pregnant women or children under 12). That means you can see bodies and body parts floating in the river. I also saw them put a cow in the middle and watched it float down. People still use the river for bathing and washing their clothes. Its pretty amazing that it doesnt make them sick. They have been doing it their entire life so I guess their immune system is different.

I do like the city though. There is something about it that is alluring. From what I understand nobody knows how old it is. Some people have told me that its the oldest city in the world. I asked the boat guide and he said he honestly didnt know.

If I had more time in India I would stay here longer. I know there is a lot more to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment