Friday, March 30, 2012

Varanasi

I stayed in Delhi for a couple of days. I liked it quite a bit. The metro was really clean and nice. There is a backpacker ghetto that is similar to Khoa San road in Bangkok. Its not peaceful or nice, but its an easy place to meet other travelers. Its also right next to the train station.
There was a really nice European style area called Hauz Khas Village. It was a break from some of the chaos in the city.
Traveling alone didn't last long. I met someone the first night in Delhi and hung out with him a few days. Then on the way to the metro I met another guy and caught a train with him to Varanasi (about 12 hrs away). We got here a couple hours ago. Its full of really narrow streets and on the Ganges. I havent had time to look around the city yet, but Im about to head out and do that.
I think that traveling alone will have to wait for a little bit longer. Its nice to travel with people because everything is cheaper and you have someone to keep an eye on your stuff. Its also interesting to learn how other people travel. Most of the people I travel with live in countries that I have never even visited. I learn a lot about their countries along with learning about what others think about the US. Its really amazing how easy it is to meet people when you travel. It usually takes almost no effort and within a couple days you really get to know the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment